In my years in the automotive industry, one story that sticks with me is the time a customer came into the shop with a loud clicking noise every time he made a turn. It was like the car was begging for attention. After a quick look, it was clear: the CV axle was shot. For those not in the know, the CV axle is a crucial part of your car’s drivetrain. When it fails, it’s not just a noise issue; it’s a safety concern.
But here’s the kicker: CV axles from the original manufacturer can cost a pretty penny. Fortunately, there’s a cost-effective alternative—aftermarket CV axles. These parts often match or even exceed the quality of OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) axles and are usually easier on the wallet.
So, let’s talk about the aftermarket CV axles and discuss what to look for when buying one and why they might be the best choice for your vehicle.
01. Cardone 66-1009 – Overall Best CV Axle BrandCheck on Amazon Check on DvaSata
- Axle Retaining Nut: An axle retaining nut is provided with every unit for hassle-free installation, especially since the original retaining nut might be worn or stripped.
- CV Drive Axle Measurements: These are validated after assembly to ensure a proper fit. Additionally, threads are precision rolled to guarantee the correct fit when the axle nut is installed.
- High-Quality Grease: The product uses grease that can withstand high-temperature and pressure extremes.
The Cardone 66-1009 CV Drive Axle Shaft stands out with its top-quality grease, providing a shield against high temperatures and stress. The Neoprene boots, enhanced with extra bellows, are notable for their durability and resistance to wear. Pneumatically clipped boot clamps ensure a secure connection to the axle’s frame.
Installation is straightforward, and the axle fits vehicles seamlessly. Rigorous quality checks, including an axle straightness test, underscore the manufacturer’s commitment to performance. The package’s inclusion of new nuts is a thoughtful addition, and the shaft’s length ensures smooth tire and ball-bearing movement.
02. GSP NCV10232 CV Axle – Premium Pick CV AxleCheck on Amazon Check on eBay Check on PlanetsHoup
- High-quality shaft material for durability.
- CV joint optimized for extreme temperatures.
- Neoprene-made boots for extended lifespan.
- Rigorous quality testing before distribution.
I installed the GSP NCV10232 CV Axle in my car and it fit just like the original part, making the setup hassle-free. This axle really shines if your car has an anti-lock braking system (ABS), showing off its high-quality build.
The materials are tough, making the axle durable even in bad weather. I was particularly impressed by the CV joint, which works smoothly even in very hot or cold conditions, without any weird shakes or noises.
The boots, made of strong Neoprene, show no signs of wearing out quickly, which means the joint will last a long time. The axle also goes through thorough quality checks before it gets to you, so you know it’s reliable. Plus, it’s affordable, making it a great deal for the performance you get.
03. Cardone 66-1430 CV Axle – Best Value CV AxleCheck on DvaSata Check on eBay Check on Walmart
- OEM fit for a seamless replacement experience.
- High-quality shaft material ensuring durability.
- Flexible boots designed to prevent grease leaks.
- Shaft thickness comparable to the original.
- Renowned brand reputation in the automobile world.
I looked at the Cardone 66-1430 CV Axle and I can say Cardone delivers quality as always. This CV axle fits like the one that originally came with the car, making the swap hassle-free.
It’s strong and lasts a long time, just like the factory version. The flexible boots that come with it do a great job of keeping grease in place. The shaft is just as thick as the original one, which means it performs well.
The price is fair, but make sure to handle it carefully when you take it out of the box. Also, double-check that it fits your car before you buy it.
04. GSP NCV12183 CV AxleCheck on Amazon Check on Walmart
- Rigorous factory quality checks.
- High-quality grease lubrication for reduced friction.
- ABS sensor ring for enhanced brake efficiency.
After testing the GSP NCV12183 CV Axle I can say it’s a solid product that reflects GSP’s focus on quality and performance. You can install it on either the driver’s or passenger’s side, making it quite versatile.
The boots use Neoprene, a top-grade material known for standing up to high temperatures and stress. This material keeps the axle in good shape for a long time, even if you drive in tough conditions. Before the axle hits the shelves, GSP checks it thoroughly in their factories. They also use high-grade grease on the joints and boots to reduce friction and wear.
This grease keeps working even in extreme temperatures, so you can count on steady performance. The axle works well with OEM parts and includes an ABS sensor ring, which makes your car’s anti-lock brakes more efficient.
05. Cardone 66-1325 CV AxleCheck on eBay
- Easy and smooth installation process.
- Short shaft length for efficient power transmission.
- Flexible boots to minimize breakage risk.
- Multiple bellows to retain grease and prevent dirt entry.
- Premium Moly grease for enhanced performance.
The Cardone 66-1325 CV Axle works great, living up to the brand’s good name. Putting it in was easy, and it got rid of any annoying sounds or shakes right away. The shorter shaft makes the car respond faster when you hit the gas.
The rubber parts bend easily, so they’re less likely to snap. The axle’s joints keep special grease in and dirt out, thanks to their unique design. But keep in mind, this axle isn’t cheap, so it may not fit everyone’s budget.
06. DTA GM26052606 CV AxleCheck on Kiky Check on DvaSata
- Tailored for 2010-2015 Equinox and Terrain with 2.4L engine.
- QS 9000 and ISO 9002 quality certifications.
- Superior temperature tolerance.
- 12-month or 12,000-mile warranty.
- Aligns with or surpasses OEM specifications.
I recently put the DTA GM26052606 CV Axle in my neighbor’s 2014 Chevy Equinox with a 2.4L engine, and it fit perfectly. Installation was simple and didn’t require any special tools or know-how. The axle comes with quality certifications, so you know it’s built to last.
It performs well in both hot and cold weather. Plus, it has a one-year or 12,000-mile warranty, adding to its trustworthiness. Just make sure it’s the right fit for your car model before buying, even though it meets or beats the original parts in quality.
07. Cardone 66-5235 CV AxleCheck on Amazon Check on eBay Check on DvaSata
- Eliminates unwanted vehicle sounds and movements.
- Durable boots made from high-quality material.
- Fits both passenger and driver sides.
Next up, we have the Cardone 66-5235 CV Axle that performs just as well as the original part. The setup was easy, thanks to some handy markers on it. It also cut out any unwanted sounds and shakes after I put it in.
The rubber parts are made from strong materials but might need occasional checks. A big plus is that you can use this axle on either side of the car, so you don’t have to worry about buying the wrong one.
08. Detroit Axle CV Axle – Detroit Axle ReviewsCheck on Amazon Check on Walmart Check on DetroitAxle
- Two axle shafts for FWD vehicles.
- High-quality neoprene boots.
- Well-greased components for easy fit.
- Sturdy build and impressive packaging.
- Straightforward installation process.
The Detroit Axle CV Axle is really solid, especially for front-wheel drive cars. It comes with two strong axle shafts, and the rubber boots can handle tough conditions. Everything’s well-greased, making it easy to install.
The packaging is high-quality, and many consider it an upgrade over the original parts. The axle itself is more durable compared to others I’ve seen. Although I said that the Installation is simple, you should pay attention and make sure the joints line up before you lock it in place.
09. Bodeman CV AxleCheck on Amazon Check on DvaSata Check on Walmart
- Compatible with a wide range of vehicles from 2007-2018.
- Overall Length: 22 15/16″, ensuring a perfect fit.
- Inner Spline: Bolt on 6 Holes, Outer Spline: 33 for precise torque transmission.
- Comes fully assembled with CV joints and neoprene boots.
- Backed by a 10-year warranty.
The Bodeman Complete Front CV Axle works great for smooth power delivery and fits a variety of cars, especially 6 LUG models from 2007 to 2018 like the Chevy Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500. It fits perfectly thanks to its length and spline details, and its neoprene boots shield it from dirt and water.
Made in Jamaica, NY, it meets high-quality standards. But the packaging could be better to avoid grease leaks. It comes with a 10-year warranty, making it a solid mix of quality and cost-effectiveness.
10. ECCPP CV AxleCheck on Amazon Check on Walmart Check on PlanetsHoup
- Additional bellows for enhanced pressure resistance.
- Pre-lubricated with Moly grease.
- Premium quality steel shaft for optimal load-bearing.
A customer recently came to me with his Sportsman 04, and the ECCPP CV Axle worked great on it. The rubber boots bend easily, keeping the joint safe from dirt and water. Extra folds in the boots make them tough, so they last longer.
The parts already have Moly grease on them, so they run smoothly in hot weather, too. The steel shaft can handle a lot of weight, making my off-road rides quiet and shake-free.
Navigating the vast world of CV axles can be daunting, but with the right considerations, you can confidently make an informed choice. Here’s a breakdown of the essential factors to keep in mind:
It’s crucial to ensure that the CV axle you’re eyeing is compatible with your vehicle. Remember, not all axles are universal fits. While online reviews can be insightful, they shouldn’t be your sole reference. Always verify if a specific model aligns with your vehicle’s requirements to truly maximize your investment.
Beyond aesthetics and build, the performance of the CV axle is paramount. It’s essential to know that your chosen axle can deliver consistent and reliable functionality.
No one wants a short-lived product. Opt for reputable brands known for their reliability and longevity. While the products in this guide are vetted for durability, if you’re considering an unfamiliar model, it’s wise to delve into online reviews.
While no axle will last indefinitely, each should have a reasonable lifespan.
Budgeting is a critical aspect of any purchase. Thankfully, top-tier CV axles don’t always come with a hefty price tag.
This guide showcases a range of quality, affordable options. However, always weigh the features, pros, and cons against the price to ensure you’re getting value for your money.
A straightforward installation process can save you both time and money. Opt for axles that you can comfortably install without professional help.
Typically, the installation shouldn’t exceed 2 hours. If it does, you might end up incurring additional costs for expert assistance.
The type of materials used in the construction of the CV axle can significantly impact its performance and longevity. Look for axles made from high-quality steel or alloys, which tend to be more durable and resistant to wear.
Warranty and Customer Support
Awarranty can be a testament to the manufacturer’s confidence in their product. It’s always beneficial to have a product backed by a good warranty period. Additionally, consider brands that offer robust customer support in case you run into any issues or have queries.
Some CV axles might require more frequent maintenance or checks than others. Understand the maintenance needs of the axle you’re considering to ensure it aligns with your willingness and ability to maintain it.
If you frequently drive in extreme conditions (like off-roading, snowy terrains, or areas with a lot of water crossings), you might want a CV axle that’s designed to withstand those specific conditions.
Noise and Vibration Reduction
A good CV axle should minimize vibrations and noise when driving. If you’re particularly sensitive to these, it might be worth looking into axles that have features or designs specifically aimed at reducing them.
What is the life span of a CV axle?
The lifespan of a CV (constant velocity) axle can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the quality of the axle, driving conditions, and frequency of maintenance. Generally, a well-maintained CV axle can last between 100,000 to 150,000 miles.
However, harsh driving conditions such as off-roading, extreme weather conditions, and heavy loads can cause the CV axle to wear out more quickly.
Additionally, a damaged or torn CV boot can allow debris and moisture to enter the joint, leading to premature wear and failure of the axle. Regular maintenance and inspection of the CV axle and boot can help prolong its lifespan.
What is the cost of replacing it?
First, the price of replacing or upgrading your CV axle depends on the number of replacements taking place. It is cheaper when you are replacing an axle than when you are replacing the two sides.
The average replacement cost is between $50 and $200, depending on the brand and the number of axles.
My CV axle is bad. Can I still drive my car?
Driving with a bad CV axle is not recommended as it can lead to further damage to your car and potentially be dangerous. A bad CV axle can cause vibrations, shaking, clicking or popping noises, and in some cases, it can cause the car to pull to one side.
It can also cause your car to lose power and make it difficult to accelerate, which can be dangerous in certain situations, such as when merging onto a highway or passing another vehicle.
It is best to have your car inspected and repaired as soon as possible if you suspect a problem with your CV axle.
My CV joint is faulty; what should I do?
If you suspect that your CV joint is faulty, it’s important to address the issue as soon as possible. Continuing to drive with a faulty CV joint can cause further damage to your car’s drivetrain and potentially result in a dangerous situation while driving. Here are some steps you can take:
- Have your car inspected by a professional mechanic. They can diagnose the issue and determine the best course of action for repair.
- If your CV joint is indeed faulty, it will need to be replaced. It’s not recommended to attempt to repair the joint yourself, as it requires specialized tools and expertise.
- If the issue is caught early, it may be possible to replace just the CV joint itself. However, if the damage is extensive, the entire CV axle may need to be replaced.
- Regular maintenance can help prevent CV joint failure. Make sure to have your car’s CV joints inspected during routine service intervals and have them replaced if necessary.
In summary, if you suspect your CV joint is faulty, it’s important to have it inspected and repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage and ensure safe driving.
When should I change my CV axle?
Immediately you notice that a boot has been ruptured, thereby resulting in grease leakage. It is time to replace your axle. There is no way the CV joint will last for an extended period without adequate lubrication.
What are the signs of a bad CV axle?
If you suspect that your shaft is making unusual noise and vibrating excessively, you may need to check your CV. Once you notice that your CV axle is damaged, make sure you replace it immediately.
Can I replace only the broken boot instead of the CV axle?
Yes, you can, provided you detect the broken boot as early as possible. If the grease is still intact and dust, debris, and water haven’t entered it, you may try boot replacement. If the boot has been damaged for a long time before you detect it, make sure you get the axle replaced.
What happens if I fail to change a faulty CV axle?
Failure to replace a damaged axle with a new one may result in a transmission leak. Suppose you fail to attend to it after you experience or notice the leak. In that case, it could go as far as interrupting the vehicle’s overall performance.
The world of aftermarket CV axles can indeed be a journey filled with choices and considerations. With the insights and detailed reviews provided in this guide, the path to selecting the right CV axle for your vehicle becomes clearer and more straightforward.
Remember, while the allure of a product might be strong, it’s essential to prioritize compatibility, functionality, and durability. A faulty axle isn’t just a minor inconvenience; it’s a potential safety concern.
So, when you detect any issues, act promptly. With the right knowledge and a proactive approach, you can ensure a smooth, safe, and efficient driving experience for years to come. Safe driving!